While there is evidence that Freemasonry existed in Gorey from 1732, it was not until 1828 that the present Lodge was formed. It is on record that a group of Brethren from that area who were attending Lodge No. 877 in Arklow decided, in view of the distances they had to travel, that they should apply for a Warrant in order to pursue their Masonic labours at Gorey. And so, on the 3rd September 1828, Harmony Lodge No. 228 came into existence.
During the 1800’s the Lodge met in various rented premises throughout the town. In time this unsettled situation caused some problems and as the 20th century progressed the Brethren of Harmony Lodge became imbued with the desire to build a home of their own. A building fund was opened and various concerts, dances, and other events were organised in support. Eventually, all this endeavour reached its fruition and great was the joy of the Brethren when a site was purchased and a Hall erected. Finally, on 10th October 1930, the new Hall was dedicated and formally named the Moore - Hill Memorial Hall. In more recent times it has also become known as the Gorey Freemasons' Centre.
In 1994 a programme of renovation and general improvement began. The Hall was completely refurbished with a new porch and stairs fitted. The kitchen area was rebuilt and a new carpet was laid in the Lodge room. This policy of continual improvement has since been maintained and the Brethren of Harmony Lodge now have a Hall of which they can be extremely proud. In recent years it has been in regular use by many groups from the local community.